Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lewis/Mcmurria Artielces- Makeover TV

Today's articles that I read talked about the history of Makeover TV in the US, UK, and Australia, as well as "Good Samaritan Reality TV".  In the Lewis article, she does exactly what the title is:  she talks about the History of makeover TV in those three countries listed.  at some point through the article, she brings up the Moran essay that we read the other day about format TV.  Personally, my favorite kind of reality TV is the makeover reality TV.  I like watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition-----even though Ty Pennington gets on my last nerve, I usually only watch it once they move the bus, and you see the after house.  That's not terrible, right?  Lewis also goes on and talks about how the HGTV and TLC network channels helped the US with the success of makeover reality series.  It seemed to me that she was talking about how the UK had the biggest success with it, and started it first before the US and Australia got the format.  As for Australia, she says that the development of makeover format had been shaped by international formats and ideas (455). 

In the Mcmurria article, it talks a lot about what we call "Good Samaritan Reality TV" like for example, the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  ABC started this whole line of good Samaritan TVs shows post 9/11 that seemed to really take off and become a huge hit.  Some people argue that networks are just exploiting these people for good TV...which makes me think of what we talked about in class the other day on whether or not Oprah overall helps these people on her show, or exploits them more just for TV ratings.  Like I said, I really like EMHE, and I was fortunate enough to go to the set when they helped with the Indiana man because he lived about 25 minutes from my house in Indy...and you know what, he submitted his video to get help, he is a great guy, and what they did was amazing for him....so I think in the EMHE case, it is not exploiting of the people.  I know in the article that they don't show how some families sue over the poor quality of their house being built, but you also have to think...they have professionals build these houses...do you really think they did a poor job?  Maybe, but maybe some families are spoiled now with what they got, and they want to try and get as much money as they can...as if what they already was given to them wasn't enough.  If you are helping a family in need by doing something good for them...I just say go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment