Thursday, December 9, 2010

Rettburg Article

So we have come to the last blog entry of the semester---kind of bittersweet if you ask me.  As much as I can not wait for this semester to be finally over with, I'm glad I was able to do this for homework assignments throughout the semester.  I've never blogged before, and it was a nice change in pace to not have to write so formal all of the time.  Now, on to the article.

I was a little confused after reading the title of the article, and then reading the article.  I thought it was going to be an article about Barack Obama and how he used social media throughout his ad campaign back in 2008.  While, the author did mention that briefly, that is pretty much all she said about it.  This article focuses on her experience with social media and how our culture, with the help of social and mass media, have created stories for ourselves; and we represent ourselves on social networking sites like FaceBook, Twitter, flickr, etc. (453).  After going into an explanation of how we represent and create ourselves identity through these sites online, she broke down organizing our stories into 4 different organizational categories:
1. Temporal Organization
2. Social Organization
3. Semantic Organization
4. Geographic Organization

I think that the most popular of these is the social organization, and you may be agreeing with me when the first thing that pops into your head is FaceBook or Twitter.  First came Facebook which at the very beginning had a very limited access to it--only college kids were able to get on it.  Now, everyone can get on it, you can update what you're doing throughout the day if you want, you can show the world the thousands of stupid drunken pictures you take every weekend in college, or high school....

Twitter has even become so popular in social media that all you have to do on twitter is tell us about yourself...any time of the day, and you can change how you feel any minute you could possibly want too.  Now I am on facebook, but I keep my pictures to where only my friends can see them, I don't have a twitter account, and I think documenting every single step in our lives is a bit much for these social networking sites.  Call me old fashioned but people can do what they want because these networking sites are just going to get more complex, bigger, and less private...and me?  Well, I personally like to leave a little mystery still to a person that I meet without him knowing every single detail of my life, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment