Tuesday, September 28, 2010

more on Lost- Ivan Askwith article

OK so, as I mentioned before, I have started to watch the seasons of Lost since being in the class, and even though I am not too far along, I am almost done with season 1.  It's really not bad at all.  And after talking to my friends who all loved watching Lost, they said that the first three seasons are the best, and then it all does downhill from there.  In this article that I read for class, the majority of it talks about whether or not the Lost writers had any idea how they were going to end the series, and if all of the answers will be solved.  Askwith goes on to say that there are four key points of the series that the writers have done to make it difficult to explain at the end.  They are:
1. Too many questions, too few answers
2. Redundant flashbacks and the endless middle
3. Convenient Inconsistance
4. Meaningless signifiers

A lot of people, including Askwith, speculated whether or not the writers were just writing each episode as they go a long, and not really know what is going to happen, which upset a lot of the viewers.  I have to say that after reading all of these Lost articles, I am a little worried myself that once I get more into the series, I will be more confused and more angry that nothing is getting solved.  It is interesting though to see that this article bashes the writers and how they are doing a poor job with the writing because they don't know how to end the series, and in the article that we read in class last week (Pearson), she talks about Lost being the best narrative out there. 

What really upset me after reading this article, is seeing Askwith talk about the episode in the first season with Hurley and the numbers.  It's ironic because that is the episode I just watched last, and after the end of the episode I really want to know what the numbers mean.  Come to find out through this article, Askwith added a text from an interview of one of the writers basically saying that they probably won't solve what the numbers mean at the end of the series and that they didn't know themselves what they mean.  I think it's a little ridiculous, but I haven't given up on Lost just yet, I will keep watching to see how it plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment