Monday, September 20, 2010

Stacey Abbot article--Is "Lost" considered a Cult series?

I guess I can start off this blog post by letting you know that I have never seen an episode of Lost before in my life, let alone not giving it a second thought to want to start watching the series.  But since I am required to watch some episodes for this class, I thought I would keep an open mind, and if I really do enjoy it, I'll probably start watching the seasons.

With that being said, let's get into talking about this article by Stacey Abbot.  I found this article very interesting because the author talks a lot about whether or not the TV series "Lost" is considered a cult series.  Better yet, Abbot talks about how she thinks that Lost is considered a "Cult Blockbuster" and how to most people, that seems to contradict itself.  In the article Abbot says in referance to how a cult movie, or tv show should be, that
"reinforcing this notion that cult, particularly in the eyes of the fans, often stands in opposition to the mainstream" (Abbot 11).
 She also goes on to talk about how if you're a cult, you can't be a blockbuster because if you're a blockbuster, you're a huge success and very popular.  Well, I would like to go ahead and argue that in this day in age, you can be a cult tv series, or cult movie, and still be considered a blockbuster.  For example, many movies and shows that are considered "cult" today, may not have been considered it when they were made.  However, when I think of a show or movie to be considered "Cult" I automatically think of the Star Wars Trilogies.  The series was one of the most grossing movies to ever be made, and yet, if you look up the definition of what a Cult show is, Star Wars falls right into that category, even though its movies were all huge blockbusters.  Included in this blog is a link to an article I found online talking about the Stars Wars Trilogy.  You can find the article here: Star Wars Trilogies Article

In my opinion, I think that the Lost Series is considered to be a cult tv series, one that will become a classic that many people will talk about in the years to come.  It has every characteristic that a cult classic should consist of.  Abbot goes on in the article pulling facts about cult classics and how lost fits in, while its doing so well as a blockbuster so she does go on to say in the end how "Cult has been appropriated for the mainstream" (Abbot 23).  They need to change the way Cult movies and television shows are viewed, because I think that in this day in age, we look at Cult Classics as being mainstream and popular, and less and less as being hidden from mainstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment