Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pearson and Mittell Articles on "Lost"

After my last post about not watching Lost, I watched the pilot episode that was assigned, followed by the next 6 episodes.  Yes, Lost and I now have a love/hate relationship 7 episodes in.  In the two articles I read for my class Thursday, I see valid points in both articles, however, the Pearson article seemed to gear more towards informing the viewer of how the narrative of Lost is the best in television history.  In the Pearson article, she explains to the viewers the significance of the shows narrative.

"Whether the producers do or do not eventually provide solutions to all the island's many mysteries, their narrative innovation should be seen as a significant marker in the history of the television drama" (Pearson 4).
I wish I could see the narrative as being the "greatest" a drama show has ever been, but I just can't seem to help myself thinking that the narrative is so bizarre and out there, and not all good...in my opinion.  I feel like the "magical essence" of the plot line is weired, but I think I enjoy it so much because of how complexed I feel when watching it.  I have the urge to want to watch more. In the other article by Jason Mittell, he talks about 4 aesthetic qualities that make Lost what it is, and complexity happens to be one of the four.  The other three would be surprise, forensic engagement, and unity.  I would have to say that most every quality listed is the reasons why I watch it, but I could do without unity.  To me, it doesn't seem that important.  However, Lost is one of the most complex shows that I have seen, and I probably will continue watching the seasons.  I'm curious to find out how I'll feel at the end because all of my die hard Lost fans, hated the ending, and felt like they wasted 5 years of their life with this show--maybe a little dramatic?  Who knows, but I do know that the Mittell article was written during the taping of the series because Mittell quotes that

"Lost seems to be the first popular show to successfully mobilize fans' forensic impulses toward sustained narrative pleasure over frustration---- although the success rate might certainly change over the final three seasons" (Mittell 130).
Looks like I'll have to keep watching the episodes and find out if I'm like the majority of people who hated the creators for how they ended Lost! 

No comments:

Post a Comment